This week I decided to give myself a little challenge. I opened one of my scrapbook magazines and picked a page that I thought was cute. My challenge was to recreate it digitally. It was a good exercise and I actually learned a few new techniques that I hadn't tried before. It did take me a little longer to do than a typical page but that's because I was really trying to copy the page as best I could. I had to create the title flags from scratch, apply the stitching, and "weave" the rope to "hang" them. I used the brush tool to do the row of brads on the bottom strip of paper and to make it look like I had cut the background with pinking shears. Obviously I changed the color scheme and some of the embellishments, but I think the basic look stayed the same.
Original

My Version



6 comments:
That looks great Nik!! Awesome job. You are very good at this digital scrapbooking thing!!
Wow, Nic! Great job! I like your's much better than the original! So you cut out the flag strips? Did you make your own stitching or use some you had? I love the "loving you" tag, too. Did you make that? Did you use a tutorial to use a brush to make the beads and pinked edge? Oh and I also love the gray swirly background paper! Heck I love it all. Way to go! You're going to have to give me a few lessons!
I used the custum shape tool to make the flags and then alt clicked to apply the different papers. Then i applied some stitching that I had but had to trim it with the selection tool. The Loving you tag was in one of the scrappers guide kits. I didn't use a tutorial for the beads and the pinking edge. I used the hard round brush for the beads in a new layer, adjusting the spacing and scatter, and then applied a metal layer effect with some adjustments. For the pinking edge I used a square brush and rotated it 45 degrees. After I did it that way I actually tried using the brush selection tool to cut that layer of paper, and that worked but it was a little more work and by this time I just wanted to be done. If I wanted to do that again I would probably use the cutting method so I could add the shadow. A i think that this is now the longest comment in blogging history so I'm gonna leave it at that.
It does look great - it's crazy all the things that you learn when you try to imitate someone else's work - and I agree with Mom - yours looks even cuter than the original!
That turned out amazing! Makes me want to get some pages done.
oh, I'm just getting into the digital scrapbooking thing and love it, but am such a beginner! I wish I was at your stage. That looks so good! That is so cool you could do that!!
Post a Comment