Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A quilt for baby James!!

I have had the fabric for a couple of months, and have been wanting to get this one done. Now baby James is almost here (less than a month) and I decided I needed to focus and get it done!!

First I had 16 different blue, brown, orange and green fabrics.


I took 15 of those fabrics and stacked them all together. Cut 2 sets of 15 9-inch squares from these fabrics (yes the whole stack all at once!!). I then took those two stacks and whacked them across the middle at random angles, creating 4 odd quadrilateral shapes from each fabric. Keeping the squares together I took one set of quadrilaterals and rotated a few to the bottom of the stack and repeated this for 2 of the other 3 sections for each square. Then sewed those pieces back together making new "squares" (they needed to be trimmed up to make the perfect squares again).


I arranged these new multi colored squares on the floor, trying to be sure that none of the same fabrics touched.


Sewed blocks together in that arrangement.


Added a 1 1/2 inch brown border.


Added a 3 inch polka-dot border (had not used this fabric in the main body of the quilt).



Now just need to get it quilted and then bind it. It should be ready for baby James when he makes is appearance in the world!!

2 comments:

Jan W. said...

I love this quilt. I'm excited to see Baby James snuggled in it. Good job, Aunt WeeWee.

Ethatch said...

Wow! I love this Wendy. Lucky
Baby James.