Saturday, June 25, 2011

How to throw a Pot Party

So as background for those of you who don't know - Elaine pretends to be a pot in my cupboards - Mr. Pot.  When I asked her what kind of birthday party she wanted - she said, a "Pot Party" my imagination ran wild - little leaves and pots everywhere - but I toned it down... Here are all the things I did and thought of doing but didn't do, because I'm not insane... Really I'm not.

The Invitations - I was really grateful that my wedding colors were gray and i had LOADS of gray paper, I used it.  My crazy thought to add to these was creating the faces on the computer and printing them on each invitation, instead I drew them - that's not crazy right?

The Games: a potato sack race with gray "Pot" pillow cases - I thought about adding handles and faces to the pillowcases - and also of making the pillowcases - but just bought them at Walmart for $2.00

Bean Bag Toss - I thought about having bonus pots that got you extra treats, but just left it with throw the bean bag - which was honestly enough.

Also with this one, I'll address the hats - I made them from cardstock stapled around in a circle with a little piece of paper for the handle.  This one was a bit of a disaster because I tried to get silver posterboard, but none of the stores had it, so I had some added work because I had to glue two pieces of cardstock together to make them big enough around their heads.  I let the kids color the hats before I stapled them together.

Put the lid on the Pot - blind folded of course.  This was my answer to Pin the Tail on the Donkey - only I didn't make a big poster.

There were 2 other games I thought of that we didn't do - the first was sort lid pots: take the pot lids over to the table and get all the right lids on the pots, and "Hide the Pot" but we were pretty done with games by the end of these three.


Elaine really, really wanted a "Pot Cake" - you know not a cake with pot in it, but a cake IN a pot.  So I came up with making a Brownie Triffle ... It wasn't until someone pointed out the irony of brownies at a pot party that I had to laugh at this.  As a side note - don't add M&M's and refrigerate - even if it is just for an hour or two - they bleed. 


I never got a picture of the food - but the menu included Hot Dogs, a Chili Dip recipe (cream cheese with chili and cheese on top - heated up), Corn and Bean Salsa, Chips, Grapes, and Mr. Freeze's.  This is definitely somewhere I held back - No noodles (Mr. Pot's favorites), no Chili Dogs, no veggie tray, or fruit tray, yea, this is definitely something that could have gotten crazy... Good thing I held back ;o) The only thing I did do was serve everything out of pots - so now literally every pot in my house is dirty.

Party favors: Pot holders with cookie cutters - cost me less than a buck to put together (thank goodness pot holders were at the dollar store!) - My over the topness told me I should use iron on transfers to add a thing about being from Elaine's party - or add a pocket to the pot holders, or make them myself - but I didn't - and everyone was happy with them.  I also thought about adding a recipe or a story, or something more - but just left it like this - and I think that was enough. 

So now I'm done with a Pot Party, maybe I can move on with my life and start doing some other stuff to post on this website.  PHEW!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it!! I love that you encourage Elaine's creativity, even when that involves throwing your 4 year old daughter a POT party. This has been so entertaining to watch, share stories about and now I have a blog post to share too!!

Jan W. said...

Yeah, so glad you didn't go over the top and kept it simple! Love it, Annie! And love you and Elaine! She has to know how special she is, because I'm pretty sure she is the first 4 year old to ever have a "Pot" party! But when every one sees how fun it was, it might not be the last!

Beth said...

Annie, you are an amazing Mom!!! And Elaine looked thrilled with everything!! LOVE IT!!!

Ethatch said...

Fun, fun fun! Thanks for sharing the creativity--love it!

Kristi said...

So glad you held back...I'm thinking my Fancy Nancy party isn't as crazy :o)