I saw this blog post a couple of weeks ago, and really wanted to do that for our family. So on Monday after all the kids were home from school (by noon), I started working on it. I was hoping to be able to get it done so that we would be able to write the list for FHE. I was happy and surprised when I actually managed that. It took me maybe 2 hours to edit in Photoshop, and then I sent it off to Costco one hour photo. I had it printed as 2 - 12x18 sheets ($2.99 each) and then I stopped at Target to get the poster 11 3/4 x 36 frame ($7.99).
I used the "Home" lil' freebie collection from Digital Freebies (one of the Friday Freebies). To make the stripes, I just cropped 1 x 12 inch strips of each paper and put them into a new document that I had specified the size as 12x18. The font I used for the top is "For the Hundredth Time" from Free Scrapbook Fonts. I know I'm probably behind the times - but I also learned how to add the fonts to my computer :o). They have a lot of really cute fonts, so I'm sure I'll be adding fonts more often. I changed the title - using part of the Phineus and Ferb theme song. My kids love that show (ok - Kevin and I enjoy it too - a cartoon I can actually stand to watch). For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, here is the video of the opening credits. To watch full episodes, you can go to Disney.com or Netflix (if you subscribe).
The number of days and list of things to do were written on the plastic of the frame with sharpie marker - and will wash off with window cleaner so we can change it next year. Here is our finished list
So, that was Monday.
On Tuesday, I went to a Relief Society Meeting, and we made this set of blocks. I love how it turned out, and that I finished. I have a set of unfinished blocks downstairs that are suppose to say "family" that I didn't have time to finish at a Super Saturday like 2 or 3 years ago. I like the way they look in the window sill of my bathroom, but the colors don't quite go in there (they are brown, and all my accents are black) so they will probably find a new home eventually, and I will make a different set for my bathroom. Probably with a six letter word that has more to do with relaxing, so that I can use the blocks I have but just order new vinyl.
Like every year, once the kids are all home everyday for the summer, we have to re-establish some cleaning rules. The biggest problem always seems to be the kitchen. So I assigned 2 kids to clean after each meal, and we will rotate (big kids one way and little kids the other so that the same kids aren't always working together). I made the assignments last night, and already this morning I had "wait - which meal do I have to dishes?" So I made a chart to help us all keep it straight. Again I used Photoshop, a paper pack from Shabby Princess named "plentiful" (which I got free), and another new font from Free Scrapbook Fonts called "wish I were taller" (which I picked partly because I liked it, but mostly for the name :o}).
I printed it out on 8.5x11 photo paper (apparently I'm out of white card stock :-S), cut them apart, laminated them, and added magnets.
So 3 days of summer and 3 projects. Don't think I will keep up that pace, but it has been fun!







3 comments:
Way cute, Kristi! I love all of them! I'm having a love/hate relationship with Photoshop again. I lost all my tagging with the computer changeover and so now I'm back to trying to tag about 20 thousand scrapbook items and photos! Aaarghh. What you did is so much more fun!
We must frequent some of the same blogs :) I found the same blog post and made the summer list last week but I printed their green strip option. When I got it up the green was too dark to see the black shaprie so I cut out the summer to do part and put it on scrap book paper. I am so impressed with your photoshop knowledge! My kids love that show too.
Now this summer you'll never hear your kids say that their bored.... I should probably make one :)
Turned out really cute!
Post a Comment