Friday, August 7, 2009

New Lenses

***Warning: There is a lot of camera talk in this post, so if you don't care about that, feel free to just look at the pictures and move on.***

So some of you might have heard that the lens to my camera broke. It is under warranty so it is being fixed (hopefully) but that left me with no lens to take pictures with for the next 6-8 weeks. At first I thought, "no big deal, I can just use one of our other cameras." But after a week I couldn't take it anymore so I started researching lenses to find one that would be a good compliment to the one I already have, and I knew I wanted one that had a low f-stop number (aperture setting) so I could get really good depth of field pictures. (It is also really good for low light settings.) I was also interested in a better zoom because my current lens is a 18mm-105mm, which is great for everyday, but for sporting events and outdoor stuff sometimes you want a little more range. Anyways, after several days of debating and researching, I ended up with 2 lenses that I am very happy with so far. (1 day)


The first is a Nikon 50mm f/1.4. Here are a few of my shots from day one.
I love the depth of field I can get with this lens.







The 2nd is a Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6. I had a little more debate over this one because a.) I wasn't sure I even needed a zoom this big. And b.) there were 2 choices: 70-300mm with VR (vibration reduction) and 70-300mm without VR. The price difference was about $400. Obviously I didn't want to spend that much on a lens but most people in the photography world say that "after about 150mm you definitely want the VR." So, the debate was do I wait to get the one with VR or do I go ahead and get the one without and hope for the best. After reading the reviews, most people seemed to think the one without VR was a fine lens, especially for the price ($140). So I decided to go for it. With the few pictures I've taken I have been very happy. I tested it at Lucy's Baseball game.

Just to give you a little perspective, Lucy is play 2nd base and I am standing outside the fence on the 3rd base side at about the grass line.
This was taken from across the park.
(Aren't you supposed to keep your eyes open when you hit? But she did hit it!)

These are some rapid fire shots that I edited together in photoshop.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome Nik!! Those pictures are great!!

Mrs.Goates said...

Alright Nik, girls' weekend I want a tutorial on cameras... You know way more than me and I don't even know where to start. And your pictures always turn out amazing. So there's your craft for girls weekend! Glad I figured it out for you! (Though I'm not sure what everyone else will think of it)

Jan W. said...

How fun! You've made Dad a coveting man! I love the pictures of Brooklyn and Noah with the first lens and Lucy looks like a go-getter in the softball photos! That's not much of a surprise, though!

Kristi said...

ok - makes me want a new camera...I feel so left out. Of course I'd want the fun lenses to go with it. You and dad have a four more years to get ready for Morgan's senior pictures - I heard from a girl yesterday that the basic packages from the school hired photographer start at $250! insane! I guess if I multiply that by 6 kids, and adjust for inflation I really can afford a cooler camera!