Friday, September 5, 2014

Coloring Party

We had a great birthday - coloring themed since James LOVES coloring.

 First we started with some splatter art - I think the best art was on their feet - but the art was pretty cool too.  Just watered down craft acrylic paint and paint brushes and a giant mess.  Always a favorite.







Then we did some Color Tag.  The kids each had one of those marker with paint brush tips and a poncho made from packing paper.  Then they chased each other trying to mark each other up.  I think if I were to do this one again I would do real paint - washable! so that way they would have to go back somewhere to get more paint at some point.




We also did some line art... This one was not James' favorite, but the older kids liked it.  You put globs of paint in a rainbow on a plate or pan, dip a string in it while holding the string tight, making sure the paint covers all sides of the string.  Hand the ends to the kid and have them lay it down how ever they want, after they have several strings down, then lay a paper over the top and press down to make sure the paint stays on the paper.  Carefully remove all the strings and Wala!

Everyone's favorite was painting the cakes though.  I had seen that you could paint fondant, so I thought - wouldn't it be fun to let the KIDS paint a cake?  So I made a cake (a cool tie-dye one to make up for the boring outside)... I cut the cake into 6 little cakes and then frosted and put fondant on top.  I am no fondant or cake decorating expert - so they were not perfect, but they looked pretty good.  Then you take some food dye (the paste kind) and mix it with a little lemon extract until it is painting consistency - and have at it.  The kids LOVED it.  You have to let it dry for like 10-15 minutes afterwards - but all in all fun activity.



Those are all my pictures... Actually Scott's pictures... My camera had a glitch and so all my nicer photos are no more.  Grr... Just know it was epic ;)

2 comments:

Nichole said...

Looks like fun!!!

Jan W. said...

Finally taking a look at blogs after many months. This looks like so much fun! You are certainly the queen of kids parties! Heck, let's face it-- you're the queen of all parties.