And Sierra got the Hannah Montana Sweet Niblets Cook Book (I know, right? don't let the name throw you off - the few recipes we have tried from it we have really liked) from the book fair at her school and has been wanting to try more recipes in it, so we made "Guard-Your-Breakfast Cookies", only I made a few adjustments. I'll post both recipes for you.
| Original Ingredients | What we used (we doubled it too) |
| 1 egg | 2 eggs |
| 1 cup quick-cook oats | 2 cups quick-cook oats |
| 1 cup chunky peanut butter | 2 cups chunky peanut butter |
| ½ sugar | 2/3 to ¾ cup honey |
| ½ cup raisins, dried cherries, or dried cranberries | 1 cup chocolate chips |
| 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce | 3 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup) |
| ¼ whole wheat flour | 1 cup whole wheat flour (it was too moist and we needed more dry ingredients |
- Turn on oven to 350 degrees. Crack egg into medium bowl. Use fork to beat until missed. Add oats, peanut butter, sugar (honey), raisins (chocolate chips) applesauce (banana) and flour. Use wooden spoon to stir until combined. (dough is pretty sticky)
- Lightly spray ¼ cup cookie scoop (I used the scoop I use for cupcakes or muffins) or measuring cup with cooking spray. Scoop dough onto a greased/lined cookie sheet (I lined mine with parchment paper and sprayed with cooking spray – I was glad I did – they still stuck a little – the recipe actually says an ungreased cookie sheet – I wouldn't try that). Fill the cookie sheet with mounds of dough, about 3 inches apart. Use your clean, slightly wet fingers, or a rubber spatula to flatten. (These cookies don't spread at all while baking).
- Bake for 11-14 to minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned. (My first batch I didn't flatten enough, so the edges/bottoms browned before the top/center looked done. The second batch I flattened more, and baked for about 11 minutes. I also did a pan of "snack" size ones - regular cookie size – and baked those for about 9 minutes. I pulled my cookies out when the tops looked dry and the edges were starting to brown).
- Remove cookies. Place on cooling rack and allow to cool. To store cookies, wrap each cookie in plastic wrap. Store cookies at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the freezer for up to 1 month. I haven't tried them storing part yet – they are still warm :o)
*I've been getting them at Cash and Carry here, but you can order all of the flavors from here for about the same price I have been paying. We have tried a few flavors - our favs are the one pictured, and the double chocolate chunk. Peanut Butter & Jelly is pretty good too. They are ok as is, but I like mine microwaved for about 12 seconds with a glass of milk. There aren't any we hate (well, Kevin and a couple of the younger kids aren't huge fans of any of them - but those of us who know what is good like them), but some are better than others - and I hate cooked & most dried fruit so we haven't tried any of those ones.




No comments:
Post a Comment